Kilchurn Castle and snow-capped hills reflecting in Loch Awe on a sunny day with blue skies

KILCHURN CASTLE
Argyll and Bute, Scotland

Kilchurn Castle was built in the 1450s by Sir Colin Campbell, Lord of Glenorchy and has become the ancestral home of the Earls of Breadalbane branch of Clan Campbell.

Kilchurn Castle was used as a government garrison during the Jacobite Rising (1715 and 1745).

Kilchurn Castle was hit badly by lightning during a storm in 1760 and was then completely abandoned. One of the turrets remain upside-down on the courtyard.

Tags: kilchurn castle, kilchurn, castle, loch awe, medieval, tower house, tower, ruin, garrison, clan campbell, earls of breadalbane, argyll and bute, scotland

Ref 0767

Buy this photograph